[distcc] getting distcc to compile without localhost

Chris Robison chris at chrisrobison.org
Fri May 29 05:51:17 GMT 2009

What is required to prevent distcc from using localhost?

I am using distcc to speed up builds in Gentoo, and so far it's working
pretty well. The problem is that I have a slow machine and a faster
server to help it, and so I think I'd get better performance if the slow
local machine were not compiling at all. At any rate, I'd like to try it
to see.

At the moment, distcc is dividing up compilation evenly between the two
machines. I have only one entry in /etc/distcc/hosts, the IP address of
the remote server. Localhost is not listed in the file.  I can run
distcc --show-hosts, and it also only returns the remote IP address. Yet
when I do an emerge, the compilation is still evenly split between the
two computers.

I asked around on IRC, and one response was that I had to include
"localhost/0" in /etc/distcc/hosts, to force it to send zero jobs to
localhost.  I tried adding this entry to the file along with the
existing remote IP address, and immediately after the change, distcc
started sending ALL compiles to localhost. Changing it back also
immediately restored the original 50/50 behavior.

Either way, the verbose output from distcc shows nothing that appears to
be an error; I can post it if it helps.

This is a brand new Gentoo install, running distcc 3.1, portage
2.1.6.11, gcc 4.3.2, and the server is an amd64 host set up to
cross-compile (which seems to be working perfectly).

As a separate issue, so far I have yet to see distccmon-text output
anything but blank lines, running on either machine.

Thanks in advance,

  --chris