[distcc] More efficient multiple file compiles?

Fergus Henderson fergus at google.com
Mon Apr 27 21:11:33 GMT 2009

The amount of parallelism that you get will depend on the details of how
your Makefile is written.

Does your Makefile contain ".NOTPARALLEL"?  From the GNU Make manual:

     If `.NOTPARALLEL' is mentioned as a target, then this invocation of
     `make' will be run serially, even if the `-j' option is given.

Even if your Makefile doesn't contain .NOTPARALLEL, if it is written so that
it only invokes distcc once, or if it has serial data dependencies between
each distcc invocation, then running it with "-j" won't help.

--
Fergus Henderson <fergus at google.com>