[distcc] More efficient multiple file compiles?

Benjamin R. Haskell distcc at benizi.com
Fri Apr 24 14:06:00 GMT 2009

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009, Erik Zeek wrote:

> On Friday 24 April 2009 06:18:06 am Tom Holly wrote:
> > I was looking into editing distcc code so that distributed compiles
> > also become simultaneous. This would be nice because instead of one
> > file after another being compiled on a random machine, distcc could
> > distribute multiple files on different machines at the same time. Is
> > this possible or not worth looking into?
>
> Look at the -j option of make.

Also the '-j' (--jobs) option of distcc, which might be useful in crafting
the '-j' value you use with make.

e.g. I use +zeroconf, and my set of available hosts changes frequently:

$ distcc --jobs
9

$ echo make -j$(distcc -j)
make -j9

# I only use Zsh, but I think $(( math )) stuff works similarly in bash
$ echo make -j$(( $(distcc -j) / 2 ))
make -j4

Best,
Ben