[distcc] Error when cross compiling

DaNiMoTh jjdanimoth at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 19:05:55 GMT 2009

2009/4/1 Daniel Jabbour <daniel at laptouchinc.com>:
> Joe-
>
> In the end you were right, it wasn't in the PATH. I was confused because:
> (a) It said something about a seg fault
> (b) I had added the toolchain to the PATH variable via
> /etc/profile.d/toolchainpath
>
> I guess the daemon doesn't source the /etc/profile.d scripts, whoops!
>
> Daniel

Maybe related:

Sometimes when using cross-compilers the users must set the dir where
the cross tools stay in the PATH. But this, if done globally, may
break the compilation for the local machine.

Example:
/opt/cross-ppc/bin/gcc
..
export PATH="/opt/cross-ppc/bin:$PATH"
"start distccd with some rc script"

Now, if I start a compilation ( example, the kernel ) the Makefile
reads the PATH, and try to use gcc from the first place (
/opt/cross-ppc/bin ). But this it wrong !

So, there is an alternative method to handle these situations ?
IMHO the simpliest way is adding an environment variable or a command
line argument that specifies the path where distccd needs to look.

Thanks