[distcc] Wrapper for different GCC versions.

Fergus Henderson fergus at google.com
Thu Aug 28 16:29:32 GMT 2008

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 3:12 PM, Daniel Beecham <joshu at goobah.org> wrote:

> http://rafb.net/p/SSUt3b52.html
> There you go. :-)

Thanks.  I had another look at the log, and now I understand what's going
on.
You are using distcc in non-pump mode (since your distcc version doesn't
support pump mode).
This means that distcc is running the preprocessor locally, and then
shipping the preprocessed output to the distcc server machine for
compilation.
The way that distcc invokes the preprocessor is via gcc.
The error message occurs when distcc invokes

x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -O2 -pipe -ffast-math
-march=core2 -MT cmatrix.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/cmatrix.Tpo -E cmatrix.c

on your local machine.  That is the command that distcc uses to tell gcc to
preprocess; it just uses your flags, and adds a few extra ones (such as -E).
Your local gcc is then complaining about the unsupported "-march=core2"
option.

The problem can be attributed to the fact that you have
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc in your PATH (after the masquerade directory is
removed) on both your local host and the server, but they point to different
versions of gcc.

Possible solutions include (1) upgrading to distcc 3.0 and using pump mode,
or (2) installing gcc-4.3.1 on your local machine (if it's not installed
already) in some location that is the same as on the server (e.g.
/usr/bin/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc-4.3.1) and using "distcc
/usr/bin/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc-4.3.1" .

--
Fergus Henderson <fergus at google.com>