[distcc] Proposed Enhancements/Changes

Eric Keller keller.eric at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 10:01:34 GMT 2008

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 11:52 AM, Martin Pool <mbp at canonical.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 7:29 PM, Eric Keller <keller.eric at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi Everyone,
> >
> > I have some other question/suggestion regarding the --allow option in
> > combination with dynamic ip. Some distcc server are deployed on Developer
> > PC, which are sometimes shut down or rebooted... The IP address are
> dynamic!
> > So I can use the --allow option on a distcc server, but the allowed ip
> might
> > no more correspond to the wanted PC!
> >
> > for example:
> >
> > PC1:172.16.110.218
> > PC2:172.16.110.191
> > PC3:172.16.111.51
> >
> > CompilationServer1:
> > distccd --allow 172.16.110.218 --allow 172.16.110.191 --allow
> 172.16.111.51
> > --daemon
>
> I think in this situation the only sensible thing is to allow
> 172.16.110.0/24.  If you don't trust some of the clients within this
> dhcp realm you have bigger problems than them moving around, and
> should probably use ssh.

Well using this method I have to --allow 172.16.110.0/24 --allow
172.16.111.0/24 which allow a lot of clients, which is not necessary
Unfortunately ssh is not an option, knowing the distcc tools are used on
Windows OS :(

The moment workaround is to use a perl script updating automatically the
hosts allowed using a nslookup hostname!

Regards
--
Eric Keller