[distcc] PCH Headers and distcc (again!)

Sascha Demetrio saschad at crytek.de
Mon May 26 05:39:39 GMT 2008

Hi!

I also spent some time getting PCH to work with distcc and I think I've
got a fairly complete implementation here. We're running a local compile
farm with my PCH patch, pretty successful so far. Problem: I still don't
have an OK from management to release the code :(  I'll try to resolve
this till the end of the week.

Here's a brief description of what I did and what the results were.

First of all PCHs can be huge (typically more than 100MB for our code),
so caching them on the compile server is required. I did that by
identifying a PCH by its MD5 sum - the PCH name on the server is simply
(MD5-HEX).h.gch. Files are compiled locally with -fpch-preprocess, the
distcc client looks for the PCH pragma, computes the MD5 and replaces
the pragma line with a reference to the MD5-named PCH. After that, I
added an additional protocol ping-pong, where the server may ask the
client to send over the PCH, in case it is not already cached on the
server. That works well when client and server are running the same
compiler binary.

The next problem (already mentioned by Jamie) is the PCH binary
compatibility check. In our case were cross compiling to some target
platform X, servers are Linux, most clients are Windows machines - so no
way to get the same compiler binary running on server and client. (I've
tried a hack that simply patches the checksum in the PCH -> compiler
crash, even though both compiler binaries are compiled from the same
source, only for different host platforms).

My solution is not nice, but works. The client enforces that PCHs are
compiled on the server (fallback disabled). When creating the
preprocessed file for the PCH compilation, the option -dD is added and
all #defines and #undefs are captured. The client creates a local proxy
PCH file which contains the PCH pragma and _all_ #defines and #undefs
from the the preprocessed PCH, _except_ for those specified on the
command line and built-in macros (these can be identified by looking at
the previous line in the PP output). The proxy PCH file is placed in a
directory that is scanned for includes before the directory containing
the original PCH include file. The C++ files are then compiled without
the -fpch-preprocess option.

Maybe somebody has a smarter idea of how to handle the PCH binary
compatibility problem.

I found that PCH improves the build performance to some degree. However,
getting this to work in the most general case (where server is platform
A, client is platform B, target is platform C) is really tricky and
requires considerable changes to the distcc code base. Even if I can
make my changes public, I would not be surprised if the distcc
maintainers vote against it.

Kind regards,
Sascha