[distcc] problem compiling objective c++ with distcc

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Wed Mar 26 03:40:09 GMT 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 6:06 AM, Derek Scherger <dscherger at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 4:43 PM, Martin Pool <mbp at canonical.com> wrote:
>  > To me, these errors look like you may have mismatched compilers on
>  >  some of the machines?
>
>  I'm curious what you see here that makes you think that. I'm pretty
>  sure they are the same compiler, gcc --version says

It's the typical cause of errors citing system headers.

>  i686-apple-darwin9-gcc-4.0.1 (GCC) 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5465)
>  Copyright (C) 2005 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>  This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
>  warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
>
>  on both machines and this problem only seems to happen when trying to
>  dirstribute compiles of objective-c (.mm) files.
>
>  One thing I notice in the logs below is that the .mm file is sent
>  "with token DOTI" which I assume means gcc .i (C source code which
>  should not be preprocessed) while I would expect that it needs to be
>  sent as a .mii (Objective-C++ source code which should not be
>  preprocessed). Does distcc have different tokens for DOTI, DOTII,
>  DOTMI, DOTMII etc.?

No, it doesn't, you can see it sent

distcc[4294] (dcc_x_file) send 3444161 byte file
/var/folders/Xt/XtFnn8QGHgCmHAC96Ifxtk+++Ug/-Tmp-/distcc_4ae81386.mii

I see you're using the Apple modified version of distcc; maybe you
should report this to them but I would be very interested to hear what
the cause is.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>