[distcc] Distcc over internet

Christophe LYON christophe.lyon at st.com
Wed Feb 27 14:06:36 GMT 2008

Hello,

I don't use distcc over ADSL, but I use it in conjunction with DMUCS
(http://dmucs.sourceforge.net/), which allows some sort of load balancing.
On each machine you start a 'loadavg' daemon, on the master you start
the dmucs server which collects info from loadavg.

Then, instead of calling distcc directly, you use "gethost -s master
distcc....".
In effect, gethost overrides DISTCC_HOSTS with the 'best' host value
based on load average.

So I guess that if some machines are down in your configuration, they
won't be part of pool managed by 'master'. Yet, it requires that your
'master' is always up & running.

Christophe.