[distcc] collect2: cannot find 'ld'

Jason Addison jraddison at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 03:56:57 GMT 2007

I'm using distcc on Fedora 7 with gcc 4.1.2 and Scons. I have ccache
installed, so gcc and g++ are links to ccache. I have seven distcc
servers and do not include my own machine in DISTCC_HOSTS, and have
been building like `scons -j 7'. Compiling works great. When it comes
to linking ... disaster! Linking fails with

$ scons -j 7
... compiliing ...
distcc -o MyApp ...
collect2: cannot find 'ld'
distcc[24315] ERROR: compile (null) on localhost failed

If I simply copy the link command and run it directly in the shell, it
works! The only difference I can think of is the environment. Scons
does not import environment variables. I tried setting PATH in scons
to its parent's process PATH---and then the compiling failed with
errors like this when the compile commands returned from the distcc
servers:

scons: *** [AppFrame.o] Error 127
scons: *** [BadRecordsFrame.o] Error 127
scons: *** [CalcStatusFrame.o] Error 127

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this? If I'm using Scons,
should I be using ccache? Any clues would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Jason