[distcc] DISTCC on Scyld cluster

Marcio Teixeira mteixeira at numerica.us
Mon Oct 22 18:10:29 GMT 2007

Whoohoo! I seem to have made some progress with the approach of having
"distccd" itself be migrated. However, now I seem to have issues with
paths. When compiling on my local machine, I get:

C++ multiscan/window/WindowUtils.o
c++: installation problem, cannot exec 'cc1plus': No such file or directory
distcc[7041] ERROR: compile multiscan/window/WindowUtils.C on
mteixeira at caffeine:/home/users/a/mteixeira/beo_distccd failed

On my local machine, I have DISTCC_HOSTS set to:

   mteixeira at caffeine:/home/users/a/mteixeira/beo_distccd

"caffeine" is the head node of the cluster. "beo_distccd" is a wrapper
script which causes "distccd" to get migrated to a worker node. It looks
like this:

  #!/bin/sh
 PATH=/opt/scratch/compilers/default/bin:$PATH
 export PATH
 bpsh -L `beomap --no-local` /home/users/a/mteixeira/distccd $*

Both /opt/scratch/compilers/default and /home/users/a/mteixeira/ are
visible on the compute nodes. I've used "find" to determine that
"cc1plus" lives in
"/opt/scratch/compilers/default/libexec/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.0.4",
and this is *not* in my path, but it seems incorrect to have to add it
there. I've set "distcc" up on other machines, I've never had to add the
libexec directory explicitly to the PATH.

Any thoughts as to why I might be having difficulty this time around?
How does "cc1plus" normally get found? Is there way it is located?

-- Marcio