[distcc] Re: Broken link on http://distcc.samba.org/faq.html

Jens Seidel jensseidel at users.sf.net
Thu Mar 22 10:19:28 GMT 2007

On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 10:54:13AM +0100, Jens Seidel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the link to Shane McDaniel cronjob in the FAQ is wrong, please change
> http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/distcc/2002q4/000417.html into
> http://lists.samba.org/archive/distcc/2002q4/000410.html
>
> Maybe you should also link to
> http://lists.samba.org/archive/distcc/2002q4/000432.html

Or even better: Just mention the solution and not the thread.

As far as I noticed this does not work all the time. Don't know why.
I have to kill distccd on the build host and restart it sometimes (IIRC
only if distcc is currently not in use!). Probably a problem with the
environment (PATH ist OK).

Another problem:
The section "gdb can't find source files" in the FAQ doesn't mention
that this problem is (should be?) fixed in gcc 3.4: According to
http://distcc.samba.org/man/distcc_1.html:
Due to limitations in gcc, gdb may not be able to automatically find the
source files for programs built using distcc in some circumstances. The
gdb  directory command can be used. This should be fixed in gcc 3.4.

I can verify that this problem is fixed in g++ 4 whereas I noticed it
too using g++ 3.4.

Jens