[distcc] distccd on multprocessor pc

Alberto Sala asala at etnoteam.it
Fri Feb 16 10:07:39 GMT 2007

Thanks David, we were using such a machine as one of the hosts for a distributed compilation, and the settings are pretty similar to the one you suggest.

We manage to make it work again only by re-installing distccd. It would be nice to understand  what caused the problem since reinstalling is a last-resort option indeed.

Ciao,
Alberto

> > Hi, we have been running distccd 2.18.3 on a win xp PC with 4 cpus
> > (cygwin env) for months, taking advantage of concurrent compilations:
> > it worked greatly.
> >
> > Unfortunately some days ago we saw that now only one job is executed
> > on 1 CPU, and the others are queued.
>
> Hi,
> 	For a multiprocessor, you don't really need distcc, just make -j4
> or MAKEFLAGS=-j4 should suffice.
>
> 	If you're using distcc anyhow, do you have the DISTCC_HOSTS
> environment variable set?  You can specify multiple jobs per host with:
> "localhost/4".
>
> > We tried to restart it with different options and also deleting tmp
> > files on both client and server but with no luck.
>
> HTH,
>
> Fang
>

> David Fang
> Computer Systems Laboratory
> Electrical & Computer Engineering
> Cornell University
> http://www.csl.cornell.edu/~fang/
> 	-- (2400 baud? Netscape 3.0?? lynx??? No problem!)

---
Alberto Sala - ETNOTEAM S.p.A
Mobile +39 3483810612
mail: asala at etnoteam.it