[distcc] how to make distcc work with make file and none-default location of g++ compiler?

dave woo dwu604250 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 30 04:55:31 GMT 2007

Hi guys,

I have installed the distcc properly, and I havea simple makefile with two simple .cpp file that uses the default g++ compiler under the system path. I use the "make -j2 CXX=distcc" method to compile. This works fine.

However, for my actual working project, I am using an older version of g++ compiler installed at specific location, ie, /home/local/gcc-3.2.2/bin/g++. I have set up the ~/.distcc/hosts file with one single entry of 127.0.0.1, so its simply running locally. I also set the system path to include "/home/local /home/local/gcc-3.2.2F/bin/" as the first path to be searched. Even though I thought this should not be necessary because I am using the absolute path to call the desired g++.  Anyways, when I try "make -j2 CXX='distcc /home/local/gcc-3.2.2/bin/g++', and examine the actual command actually run by the makefile, I get "/home/local/distcc/bin/distcc /home/local /home/local/gcc-3.2.2F/bin/g++ -CXXFLAGS filenames.cpp". Then the error is that the extra "/home/local" can not be found! where does this extra "/home/local" come from? So of course compilation fails.
Any ideas guys?

Thanks in advance!

Dave.