[distcc] Adding openslp support to distcc?

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sat Nov 18 14:32:58 GMT 2006

On 9/5/06, Michael Casadevall <sonicmctails at aol.com> wrote:
> This is my first post to the distcc mailing list, so maybe this has
> been brought up before, but I haven't seen it before. I'd like to add
> support for openslp to distcc so that zero configuration is possible
> with the daemon. Adding openslp support will involve a few
> difficulties, but I believe the payoff would be worth it:

(Sorry for the long-delayed response.)
There have been several posts about autoconfiguration, mostly
regarding zeroconf or rendezvous.  You might check out
Ubuntu's support for Avahi if you haven't already, too;
since it's already deployed, it might be the path of least resistance.
dmucs is another approach that some people use.
And I myself have a patch that uses DNS for autoconfiguration;
it's in use by thousands of engineers daily, so it's somewhat
battle-proven.  (Search for 'lsdistcc'.)  And it's very low-impact;
it doesn't change distcc itself, just adds a helper app you use
to set DISTCC_HOSTS before stating a build.

But autoconfiguration of distcc has a profound problem:
it makes an insecure service even less secure.
I'll post a second message about how I'd like to deal with that.
- Dan