[distcc] wrapper script for differents gcc Versions?

Patrick Fischer fischer at 4g-systems.com
Mon Oct 16 15:31:41 GMT 2006

Hello, this is my first post on this list, so please be indulgent with me.

I know the problematic nature of different gcc Versions.
I have ~15 PCs with Debian, most Sarge but some Etch.
So some people have gcc-3.3 an some gcc-4.x
I think about a wrapper skript which translate a call of gcc to the real
gcc-{Version} and
gcc-{Version} will point to distcc.

So distcc will only use the same gcc Version then my Host.

ls /../distcc/bin/
gcc -> gcc-wrapper
gcc-3.3 -> distcc
gcc-wrapper

gcc-wrapper  analyse the gcc Version an will call gcc-3.3 or gcc-4.0,....

In my case gcc-3.3 and gcc-3.3 are the same, because both are from
debian sarge.

My question is now: Is there any problem by doing this?

Best Regards
Patrick Fischer