[distcc] "failed to write" with 9 identical machines, but works with only 5

Springer, Doug Doug.Springer at astronics.com
Wed Oct 4 08:03:42 GMT 2006

Hi,

With 5 machines, -j30 works just fine.  I am running Fedora Core 4 on a
pentium4, running 2.4Ghz.  The "servers" are compaq tc1100 pentium M at
1Ghz machines, all with Fedora Core 5.  The servers are set up with the
same script and files using the same NFS mount, so they should be pretty
much identical, except for machine name and logins.

The path into all 9 machines is on the same wire, but they are on a
switched network, if that matters.

With 9 machines running -j10 causes these errors:

distcc[526] (dcc_writex) ERROR: failed to write: No route to host
distcc[526] (dcc_writex) ERROR: failed to write: Broken pipe
distcc[526] Warning: failed to distribute net/ipv4/tcp_input.c to
tc1100-053, running locally instead

When I do DISTCC_VERBOSE=1 DISTCC_LOG=/tmp/distcc.log, naturally I don't
get any errors, even with -j30.  Classic.  Turn on debug and it slows
things down just enough for the problem to disappear.

Here is the version:

distcc --version
distcc 2.18.3 i686-pc-linux-gnu (protocols 1 and 2) (default port 3632)
  built Sep 12 2006 11:38:3

Any Ideas?  I know, just run with fewer machines :)

Thanks in advance!
Doug