[distcc] Adding openslp support to distcc?

Michael Casadevall sonicmctails at aol.com
Tue Sep 5 20:22:59 GMT 2006

Hello,
This is my first post to the distcc mailing list, so maybe this has
been brought up before, but I haven't seen it before. I'd like to add
support for openslp to distcc so that zero configuration is possible
with the daemon. Adding openslp support will involve a few
difficulties, but I believe the payoff would be worth it:

Benefits:
- No need to find each distcc host, and then manually configure each.
- Each machine will broadcast a score of its speed and other stats
- The machine will broadcast its platform, so distcc knows what
machines it can and can't use. Maybe in the future we could add
better support for cross-compilers so you don't have to deal with the
current hassle to use them.

Drawbacks:
- It requires distcc to have someway of determining machine speed
- No support for cross-compilers (but distcc itself really doesn't
have good support for them either because it can't mask a
crosscompiler as gcc, so a package on both the host and the nodes
need exactly the same compiler names.

Michael