[distcc] Re: Introduction: distcc for msvc

Tom Aratyn themystic.ca at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 21:20:15 GMT 2006

Martin,

Right, or perhaps make it a bit more OO and go through a function
> pointer table for each compiler, along the lines of
>
>   struct dcc_compiler_setup {
>     int *strip_local_args(...)
>   };

Yeah, that's a good idea. We'll probably go with that.

We also need to think about how this will be configured.  Will it be by
> looking at argv[1], if not in masquerade mode?  That might be simplest
> to start with.

In our way of thinking everything, the configuration function would be
called from dcc_find_compiler(). We think that cl should only be supported
through explicit use not just for simplicity but mainly for backward
compatibility.

Yes, you obviously do need to make sure the volunteer selected has the
> right compiler.  Using a separate variable may be a reasonable place to
> start.  You should also consider how it would be stored in a host list
> on disk.

We figured that the entire dcc_get_hostlist() function will need to be part
of the table (dcc_get_top_dir() will also be in there). We'd like to keep
each compiler's volunteer list separate so that one can use the same exact
setup to compile with one compiler or the other. The host list on disk would
simply be in a file named $HOME/.distcc_cl or some such. This way we can
reuse a lot of your code.

Tom