[distcc] Eight little patches for distcc.

Michael Donohue michael.donohue at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 19:18:18 GMT 2006

I submitted an improved randomized algorithm a while back:
http://lists.samba.org/archive/distcc/2005q1/002957.html

It requires fewer probes of the locks to find a successful host, and allows
some degree of load balancing based on the number of slots available.

I also submitted a patch for limiting preprocessing, so that hugely parallel
builds can be started without crushing the machine with that same number of
preprocessors all starting at the same time.  It doesn't improve overall
execution time, but it keeps the system responsive if you're trying to do
something else while building.  Once the 'system' starts rolling, only about
20% of the jobs are typically in preprocess, but initially 100% of them are,
so far more resources get drained at that time, compared to the middle of a
run.

It looks like my original message was scrubbed, but the patch is still
there:
http://lists.samba.org/archive/distcc/2005q2/002964.html

-Michael