[distcc] DistCC / Multicast

Antenore Gatta antenore at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 09:38:49 GMT 2006

Sure, even if there are several research group that are working on new
multicast implementation over tcp.

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Multicast-HOWTO-9.html

My explanation was bad, it's due to my orrible English skills... :-|

I don't know if it could be a good idea, and therefore this is why I'd like
to have yours opinions.
It should be possible to write a separate program/utility that check the
servers availability using multicast (sure, at udp level).
Every servers send messages over multicast to join the group, at this point
the client knows exactly how many servers there are and a new configuration
file could be written, and the build can begin.

In this way you can also have different building farms only using a
different multicast group.

i.e.
237.0.0.1 5555    1st Compiling farm for i386 architecture
237.0.0.10 4444 2nd Compiling farm for Sparc architecture
and so on...

Again, I don't know if this a good idea, I like it because I'm working with
multicast based application every days, and so I'm obsessed about it.

In the hope my explanation is better :-)

Thanks a lot
Regards
Antenore.