[distcc] Distributed compiling

Victor Norman vtnpgh at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 19 14:47:27 GMT 2006

All,

My DMUCS project contains a script that does this: watch-ssaver.  It is a very short script, so here it is:

#!/usr/bin/perl

my $numArgs = @ARGV;
my $host = "";

if ($numArgs == 1) {
    $host = $ARGV[0];
}

my $blanked = 0;
open (IN, "xscreensaver-command -watch |");
while (<IN>) {
    if (m/^(BLANK|LOCK)/) {
    if (!$blanked) {
        if ($host == "") {
        system("/us/bfsbld/Compilers/distcc/bin/enable-host");
        } else {
        system("/us/bfsbld/Compilers/distcc/bin/enable-host $host");
        }
        $blanked = 1;
    }
    } elsif (m/^UNBLANK/) {
    if ($host == "") {
        system("/us/bfsbld/Compilers/distcc/bin/disable-host");
    } else {
        system("/us/bfsbld/Compilers/distcc/bin/disable-host $host");
    }
    $blanked = 0;
    }
}

I got this off the internet from somewhere and modified it to run my enable-host and disable-host commands. The enable-host command just starts up the distcc daemons on the machine and starts up my loadavg command.  Thus, the machine is added to the dmucs server and becomes part of the compilation farm.  When the screensaver exits, the disable-host command runs, which removes the desktop machine from the compilation farm.

We've used it here at Marconi for a long time, and it works great.

(NOTE: I never have found a way to do this with Windoze/Cygwin, but I sure would like to find one.)

Check out http://sourceforge.net/projects/dmucs for dmucs -- you can look at the source code, etc., with CVS too.  And, I have alot of info about how dmucs works, etc., on the Home Page -- accessible from the above URL.  And, I'd be happy to help you set up dmucs in your system, if you need help.

Vic

Patrik Olesen <patrik at famolesen.com> wrote:           Could it not be enough to just use nice?

 / Patrik