[distcc] Loadbalanced distcc

Sean D'Epagnier geckosenator at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 15:21:24 GMT 2006

There is no rush to get the code, I am interested whenever it's convenient
for you to post it.

I wasted a few hours of time writing a wrapper for make.  The program would
execute "make -n" plus any other command line options.  The program executed
each command make printed out in parallel (each in a different thread)  If
the command was successful (return 0) then it was deleted.  Otherwise, it
was re-executed the next round.  In this way I hoped to have as many of the
commands in parallel as possible, but if dependencies aren't satisfed, gcc
will just return non-zero, and try again the next round.  The program works
for simple make files, it even built distcc, but not so good for the complex
ones (make -n can fail when make doesn't!).  It also turned out to be slower
than just using make, distcc compiles in 4 seconds, and it takes 8 with this
program :(

I can try again with a recursive wrapper, and execute subdirectories in
order (but also parallel)  At this point I don't think it's very easy to
improve performance, since the slowest computer working on the largest file
is on average less than a second!