[distcc] "GDB can't find source file" redux, updated patch

Dan Kegel daniel.r.kegel at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 22:12:57 GMT 2005

My users were quite upset by the problem described here:
http://distcc.samba.org/faq.html#gdb
It appears to be resolved in modern compilers like gcc-4.0,
but we still sometimes use gcc-2.95.3, so we need the patch.
So I forward-ported the patch to distcc-2.18.3.
Annoyingly, it seems to have a bug which only shows
up when doing nonrecursive builds of nested directories;
if a file foo.cc is in directory apple/bananna, the path
and you compile it from directory apple as bananna/foo.cc,
you end up with paths like apple/bananna/bananna/foo.cc,
which isn't good.  The solution was easy, but I wonder if
the original author of the patch knows something I don't...

Anyway, the forward-ported and hopefully bugfixed patch
is online at http://kegel.com/distcc/distcc-2.18.3-line.patch
It's probably only useful for anyone building with older compilers,
so I kind of agree with Martin's decision to not apply it by default.

--
Why won't Johnny run Linux?  See http://kegel.com/linux/comfort