[distcc] Knock, Knock, can distcc come out to play?

George Garvey tmwg-distcc at inxservices.com
Tue Sep 13 17:10:29 GMT 2005

On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 10:00:19AM +1000, Martin Pool wrote:
> On 13/09/05, George Garvey <tmwg-distcc at inxservices.com> wrote:
> >    On the other hand, I've appreciated a few times getting those
> > messages. In my situation, they almost always mean something needs
> > attention, since we don't turn off computers here. I'd rather not have
> > one more log file that needs a program to tell me when something needs
> > attention, when I'm getting immediate feedback now.
>
> So it's probably better to do a graceful shutdown of the server instead?
>
> At the moment you can kill the main server and wait "long enough" for
> all the jobs to finish.  Maybe someone could write a patch to make the
> server wait around for all the children.

   Sorry Martin. I don't understand what you're responding to. Perhaps
I miscommunciated, or misunderstood something.

   One recent message I remember was caused by a hostname misspelled
in /etc/distcc/hosts. It wasn't a server problem at all.
   If I am getting messages about a dead server from distcc (which is
really rare) I'd like to check it out because of the compiler
messages, just like happens now. I don't even remember the last time
that happened, truthfully.

   I'm just suggesting that the current notification not be changed
absolutely. Any new behavior should be in addition to the stderr
messages. Which means some way to turn off the stderr messages for
those who want that. Because I don't.
  I'm a little surprised at needing to parse output from make to
determine if a build is successful, anyway. That sounds like a
disaster waiting to happen, and distcc is not the cause: parsing make
output is. Isn't that what exit codes are for? Sounds like a very
complicated build process, if it can't rely on make.
   That isn't a judgment: if that's what needs to be done, I'm sure
there's a good reason.
   But, is that what distcc should be optimized for? It sounds like an
unusual case.
   Or perhaps I misunderstood something.