[distcc] Re: Simple autodiscovery of distcc servers

Jeremy Glazman JGlazman at itsgames.com
Thu Aug 11 14:02:43 GMT 2005

This is a great idea, I have been working on a similar scheme, but the
problem I encountered is properly setting the -j# flag at compile time. How
would you let your Makefile's know how many servers are available in this
dynamic setup?

Here was my solution: I am running a distcc/ccache farm using samba shares
for a distributed cache. Samba messages inherently provide info like
hostname, IP address, etc., and also supports running a script after a
message is received, so using these features...

1) machine boots up, init script tells a machine designated as the hub that
it is available for compiling (via samba messages)
2) the hub relays the message to the rest of the available machines
3) addresses are distributed and stored in the distcc hosts file
4) post-message script tallys the number of addresses in the hosts file, and
saves this number in another file
5) this file is included in my Makefile, so that I know which -j# is
appropriate for the number of available machines on the farm

However this solution is obviously not ideal for everyone. If distcc was
able to manage something like this internally that would be very
interesting.