[distcc] Re: Simple autodiscovery of distcc servers

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Thu Aug 11 07:37:30 GMT 2005

Dan Kegel wrote:
> Experience seems to indicate that to be practical for wide deployment
> in a largish organization, users must be able to use distcc without
> configuring it.
>
> There are patches to add Rendezvous support to distcc
> (see http://www.crocodile.org/lord/DistCCRendezvous.pdf for a writeup),
> but being a troglodyte (and more to the point, one without
> the power to install zeroconf anywhere), I prefer a simpler approach.
>
> Stop me if you've heard this one before.
> This scheme simply requires that distcc servers
> have DNS aliases distcc1, distcc2, distcc3, ...

I should mention that the scheme is identical to having the hostnames
distcc1
distcc2
distcc3
in the hosts list, except that it discards missing servers
without forcing any local compilations, and ignores
servers which are on a different network than distcc1.

Hence my hope that it can be implemented in very few lines of code.
- Dan