[distcc] distcc: Qt's UIC and MOC

R. Reucher rene.reucher at batcom-it.net
Tue Jul 12 23:43:37 GMT 2005

Hi,

just wanted to report that I successfully tried to use distcc together with
Qt's UIC (User Interface Compiler) and MOC (Meta Object Compiler).

I'm still using Qt 3.3.4, so I can't say anything about the latest version of
Qt (Qt 4), but expect that the results are the same. Anyway, I don't even
know if you are familiar with Qt, so I try to explain... UIC and MOC are no
"real" compilers - or at least they are no C/C++/ObjC compilers - they
generate C++ code, which afterwards get's compiled with g++ in my case (and
currently under Solaris 8, btw :).

Howto:

Assuming that a Qt project file is used (as I normally do), the "trick" is to
add the following 3 lines to the .pro file before qmake (the Makefile
generator) is called:

QMAKE_CXX = distcc g++
QMAKE_MOC = distcc $(QTDIR)/bin/moc
QMAKE_UIC = distcc $(QTDIR)/bin/uic

This works fine!

The only minor drawback is that distccmon-text doesn't display these jobs
correctly. But's that no big deal...

I didn't see a note about UIC and/or MOC mentioned on the project homepage
(http://distcc.samba.org/compilers.html) so I thought I might just drop you a
note.

Cheers, René
--