[distcc] discovering the distccd hosts on a DHCP LAN?

Timothee Besset ttimo at idsoftware.com
Tue May 3 23:33:28 GMT 2005

Lo all,

While most of the distcc hosts I use have a fixed IP, I have a number of
machines that live on the LAN and get their IPs assigned by dhcp. I'm
looking for a way to use those for distcc as well. I've seen the FAQ,
and mention of centralized manager / TeamBuilder thing, but I don't
really want to move away to a completely different solution.

What I'm thinking about is just have a cron script on machines that run
a distcc daemon so they leave their IP somewhere, and in turn on the
client machine I would maintain the hosts file updated ( probably with a
cron as well ). If anyone has something along those lines already ..
please let me know :)

TTimo