[distcc] On Style - the hosts file

Daniel Kegel dank at kegel.com
Thu Apr 7 21:42:41 GMT 2005

Jean Delvare wrote:
>>Only the hosts after --randomize are randomized, I think.
>
> True, but I still second Victor's point of view. The host file contains
> hosts, and adding options there doesn't sound good at all. Not that I
> have an immediate idea to implement the "not all hosts are randomized"
> concept, but at least I can say I don't much like this one.

Me neither, but we wuz in a hurry :-)

> I would also question the interest of such an option. Was there a
> significant improvement when compared with a fully randomized
> distribution? I would think that a more simple rule would be not to
> randomize the first host of the list and start randomizing after that.
> Wouldn't it be sufficient?

Any number of approaches would do.   I didn't want to force
randomization down anyone's throat, so I made it an option.

> Or we could have ~/.distcc/hosts.random for randomized hosts.

Nah, let's not have two hosts lists.

I'd kind of like to see a nice C implementation of the
load balancing proxy server, myself... that would get
rid of the need for this option.