[distcc] Local vs. NFS lock files.

Donohue, Michael mdonohue at paypal.com
Mon Apr 4 18:53:25 GMT 2005

It looks like a common workaround to broken or missing NFS file locks is
the use of dot-lockfiles.   The claim is that file creation on NFS is
atomic, so creating a file with a well known name is a suitable
replacement for advisory locking.  Given that distcc isn't actually
writing data into the lock files, then they are just advisory locks.
Can we perhaps substitute file creation for file locks, as a more
conservative way of handling this?    Has this been considered before?

This may also solve one of our outstanding problems with lock files on
NFS, where they remain locked even though there are no processes holding
them locked.  With file creation, instead of file locking, we can look
at the date the file was created, and choose to ignore its existence if
it is too old.  With file locks, you get no other information besides
the fact that it is locked.

Michael