[distcc] Limiting cpp0, randomizing hosts, more verbose localhost lockfile names

Donohue, Michael mdonohue at paypal.com
Tue Mar 29 20:04:59 GMT 2005

I've found the FAQ has a couple questions about NFS.   Namely, "Files
written to NFS filesystems are corrupt" and "distccmon doesn't work on
NFS"

These seem more like warnings than prohibitions, and indeed, we haven't
had any problems with object files full of zeros, and distccmon has been
modified here so that it doesn't do orphan detection.  Instead the
status files get removed after a minute or so.

I'll try some tests tonight when our developers aren't all using the
machines, to compare a network mounted lock directory to a local one,
but I have no evidence that getting a lock is causing any performance
problems, so I will be surprised if there is a difference.

Michael