[distcc] Limiting cpp0, randomizing hosts, more verboselocalhost lockfile names

Donohue, Michael mdonohue at paypal.com
Tue Mar 29 19:40:07 GMT 2005

"Why not simply use the hostname instead of localhost? I'd expect it to
be more simple, and to work in all cases. Am I missing something?"

No, you're not missing anything.  Using the hostname instead of
localhost would be fine.  It's just a matter of a formatting string, so
I'm not particularly attached to one way of doing it.

(paraphrasing) "What is the benefit of --localslots=<num> over the
regular way?"
The regular way doesn't allow the user to change the number of local
compilations that will take place. By local, I mean fallback
compilation, linking, and generally anything that distcc determines it
cannot execute remotely.  In our environment, allowing 4 simultaneous
links uses too much memory.  We are better off with just 3.  Currently,
there is no way to tune the n_slots for the hostlist defined in the
global dcc_hostdef_local.   This option allows it to be tuned.

Michael