[distcc] Limiting cpp0, randomizing hosts, more verbose localhost lockfile names

Jean Delvare khali at linux-fr.org
Tue Mar 29 17:22:05 GMT 2005

Hi Michael,

> As mentioned last week, I've put together these changes for submission
> to the project.

I think I understand that you made several changes, but you provide a
single patch. Could you please instead provide indivdual patches, each
doing one thing? It will make review and integration much easier.

> The other change is to randomize host selection, and choose based on
> slots.  This means that hosts with 4 available slots are 4 times more
> likely to be chosen than a host with only 1 available slot.

I am interested in this part. I think there were other attempts to do
that, but these were never integrated into distcc. So if you can provide
a patch which does only this, I'll review it.

> Last, the localhost lock file now includes part of the host name.  We
> have 4 "localhosts" in use here on shared disks.  Without this change,
> they all used the same lockfiles.  This meant that box 2 would not do
> any linking, because box 1 was already doing 4.

Why not simply use the hostname instead of localhost? I'd expect it to
be more simple, and to work in all cases. Am I missing something?

> Local compilation slots can be set without adding localhost to the
> hostlist, by setting "-localslots=<num>"

With what benefit over using the regular way?

Thanks,
--
Jean Delvare