[distcc] windows and distcc

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Thu Mar 17 12:21:27 GMT 2005

On 17 Mar 2005, at 18:55, nadim wrote:

>>>    All my programs are targeted to linux. I will appreciate any
>>> advise.
>>
>> You'd be happier developing on a Linux box, I think,
>> because running your builds on Windows will be
>> ungodly slow even with distcc.
> Nothing is less true. I use both OSes and a Win box compiles almost as
> fast
> and I've seen cases where it goes faster on a windows box.

I think Dan may have assumed that linux-only programs would need to be
built under Cygwin, as is generally the case, which really will be
slow.  If the program will build with Windows native compilers using
something like SCons then using Windows compilers might be very fast,
but most Linux-only code can't do that.  (I heard MSVC has recently got
a lot slower, but I don't use it so I don't know...)

> I still prefere linux for completeness but I must say windows still
> beats
> Linux when it come to friendliness of installation etc..

Having recently installed both I disagree, but this is way off topic,
so let's leave it for a more appropriate forum.

> That's what I do at work (I use linux directly at home) I works
> perfectly,
> putty is nice except you can't scroll up in the terminal one line at
> the time
> (you'll learn to hate that).

You should run GNU Screen inside; that can do scrollback quite nicely.