[distcc] windows and distcc

Daniel Kegel dank at kegel.com
Wed Mar 16 20:34:17 GMT 2005

Zahari Doychev wrote:
>    Hi all,
>    I am new to distcc and I am not sure that it is the thing that's right
> for me.
>    I have windows box and several linux boxes. I want to write and edit all
>    my code on windows machine and then compile it for one of the linux
> boxes.
>    All my programs are targeted to linux. I will appreciate any advise.

You'd be happier developing on a Linux box, I think,
because running your builds on Windows will be
ungodly slow even with distcc.

As a middle ground, you can ssh to the Linux box
from your Windows box.  That way you don't need
to deal with multiple monitors or keyboards.
Many people use "putty" for this, or you can
use the xterm and ssh that come with cygwin.

You *can* share files between Linux and Windows,
but unless your Windows editor can save files
in Unix text format, it's more trouble than it's worth.

MfG

Dan