[ccache] Re: [distcc] distcc -> ccache: no error messages

Tim Niemueller niemueller at i5.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
Wed Mar 9 09:51:32 GMT 2005

Martin Pool wrote:
> Tim Niemueller wrote:
>
>> Martin Pool wrote:

>>> Do you really get a \uffff character there?  Is it printed as the
>>> backslash escape, or is that unicode character written into the
>>> output stream?
>>

>> No, but the output looks as if it was filled with tabs.
>> LANG=de_DE.UTF-8, so yes, this probably is a unicode escape. I don't
>> know why. Thunderbird writes it if I copy by marking the message in my
>> xterm and pasting.
>

> So if you have a syntax error, you get a 'file not found', plus this
> \uffff?  That's wierd.

Yes. This is what I get. The program looks like this:

----
int
main( int argc, char **argv )
{
   FirewireCamera cam;
   //FileLoader cam(FileLoader::YUV411, "sample.yuv", 640, 480);
   ImageDisplay display(640, 480);
   cam.open();
junk
   cam.start();
   cam.close();
}
----

Of course it should complain about the junk line.

[tim at columbus firevision]$ make
  --- Making Dependencies for main.cpp (C++)
  --- Compiling main.cpp (C++)
gcc: \uffff\uffffl        /distccd_f85f55ed.ii: Datei oder Verzeichnis
nicht gefunden
gcc: keine Eingabedateien
distcc[18542] ERROR: compile main.cpp on lechuck failed
make: *** [.obj/main.o] Fehler 1

So now even more "invisible" characters on the line. But is there a
chance that this is related to the problem? The log states that all
names are plain ASCII... Remember that this only happens when using the
"distcc -> ccache combo". distcc and ccache alone work just fine.

	Tim

--
LuFG Informatik 5, RWTH Aachen
Ahornstrasse 55, D-52056 Aachen