[distcc] distcc -> ccache: no error messages

Tim Niemueller niemueller at i5.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
Tue Mar 8 19:47:56 GMT 2005

Hi there.

This mail is about distcc -> ccache interaction so I'm undecided which
list to post to - so I send to both.

The constellation: All machines run under FC3, a couple of SMP machines,
some desktops (all Intel CPUs). They all have the same NFS share mounted
at /home. User path is set to use distcc as gcc replacement. distcc path
will give ccache for gcc. No changes needed to be made to the makefile.
So the constellation is "user 'make -j' -> distcc -> ccache -> gcc". We
use this order to have one central ccache (distcc user is running distcc
so all will use the same cache) for all users.

Compilation works -- if there is no bug in the source code that the
compiler complains about. If there is such a bug it will fail with a
message like

[tim at columbus firevision]$ make -j
  --- Compiling main.cpp (C++)
gcc: \uffffC/distccd_219a0097.ii: File or directory not found
gcc: no input files
distcc[17494] ERROR: compile main.cpp on lechuck failed
make: *** [.obj/main.o] Fehler 1

If I use just distcc I get the message. If I use just ccache I get the
message. If I use them both in the combination subscribed above I will
not get the real error message but just the distcc error. This error was
provoked by just putting a "junk" on a random new line in the source
code to get the compiler complain.

Any ideas?

Thanx,

	Tim