[distcc] distcc fails when building linux kernel on gentoo

Jean Delvare khali at linux-fr.org
Tue Feb 22 21:56:32 GMT 2005

Hi,

> I have this strange problem with distcc. In my home network I have
> three linux pc's, a debian one, an ubuntu one and a gentoo one. When I
> use distcc to build the gentoo system on the latter one I have no
> problems. When I try to build the kernel on the same pc, for example
> with the command 'make -j8 CC=distcc' I get immediately the following
> error:
>
> cc1: error: unrecognized option `-Wdeclaration-after-statement'
> distcc[21097] ERROR: compile arch/i386/kernel/asm-offsets.c on
> 192.168.1.150 failed
>
> where 192.168.1.150 is one of the other two linux pc's, and the
> compilation stops.
>
> Any suggestion?

I suspect that you use different version of gcc on the 3 machines. More
precisely suspect the gcc of your Gentoo system is more recent and
recognizes options the others won't. Possibly these options are enabled
because the local configuration system sees the local gcc supports them,
then the jobs are distributed to versions of gcc which do not support
them.

You should always use the same version of the compiler accross the
different systems on a build farm - or at least versions as similar as
possible.

Hope that helps,
--
Jean Delvare