[distcc] compression question

Brian Hall brihall at pcisys.net
Tue Feb 15 17:10:13 GMT 2005

I am using two AMD64 Gentoo based PCs, a server with dual 1.8G Opterons
and a client/workstation with a 2.0G S754 A64. The server has GBe, and
so does the client, but I've recently discovered that the r8169 driver
gives me NFS timeouts on high traffic (large NFS transfers), so I've
dropped back to using a Intel PCI 100MB card (e100).

My question is, given the above relatively fast hardware, is it worth it
to enable lzo compression? I believe the A64 chips will compress very
quickly. I am just looking to minimize the compilation slowdown caused
by going from a GB connection for distcc to 100MB.

My current config, with MAKEOPTS=-j6 in /etc/make.conf:

# distcc-config --get-hosts
zippy/4 localhost/2

Proposed config, if it is likely to be faster:
zippy/4,lzo localhost/2

--
Brian Hall
Linux Consultant