[distcc] cl.exe pdb files - getting ugly

Dobes Vandermeer dobesv at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 02:40:38 GMT 2005

I was working away at adding support for piping over the .sbr and.pdb
files along with .obj after a cl.exe build, but I realized that the
filenames are going to get munged.  In MSVC, it stores the path to the
debugging information inside the .obj file; since this will be
C:\TEMP\distcc98209184.pdb, this probably won't work too well.

I see two options and I have they both seem pretty high-risk:

1. Patch the resulting object file (somehow) to update it to use the
correct path.  I don't know how hairy the .obj file format is, though,
or how difficult this would be.  Has anyone seen a tool that might
help with this?
2. Try to make the filenames on the build machine match the ones on
the original machine, and hope that the .obj file contains a relative
path.  This seems like a lot of work, but in theory I could try and
mktemp() a folder, do the work in there using original pathnames, then
delete the entire directory tree.  Lots of work.. and no idea whether
it'll work in the end.

Compiling with distcc & cl.exe doesn't seem very useful unless you get
proper debug information... damn!