[distcc] --no-fork

Daniel Kegel dank at kegel.com
Mon Feb 14 21:07:01 GMT 2005

Martin Pool wrote:
> What about the use of fork?  If the problem is that fork is slow, then
> using --no-fork should not make much difference because the forking
> happens only at startup and then every hundred jobs or so.
>
> If fork is a problem, it would be more useful to replace the forks
> which happen for each compilation.  Is there a more efficient way to
> launch tasks in Cygwin?

There is a fellow working on adding support to gcc for
using spawn instead of fork when running the subprocesses
inside gcc on windows (without cygwin).  That's probably
the way to go if you want speed.  But I have no idea how
easy it is to build a mingw host, linux target cross-compiler.

A patch that seems to add spawn support is at:
Not sure what the status is.
- Dan