[distcc] Re: Contributing to distCC

Uri Shkolnik uris at dsp.co.il
Thu Feb 3 15:25:52 GMT 2005

Assaf & CO,

My name is Uri Shkolnik, I work for DSP Group (Herzeliya Pituach), and
my current task is.... modifying DistCC to work with ARM (ADS) compilers.

 From my previous reading (in this newsgroup and elsewhere) I understand
that making the DistCC project to work with different compilers (brands
or software languages) is a major issue (SUN, ICC, MS....., C, C++, .... ).

The main issue (to my opinion) is that DistCC has been written around
the GNU compiler (gcc), and it very hard to be modified so it will work
with different environments.

I think, that one major goal must be changing DistCC to be a "generic
cluster compilation" distributor, and void the inline gcc carving from
this great package.

There are many ways (as always in software) to make DistCC not only be
cross-platform, but also cross-compilers (brands and languages). I don't
  think it should take more than a few months of work for single good
programmer (and you are three people...)

If my idea sounds right for you, or if you would like to ask anything,
please feel free to contact me.

Regards,

Uri Shkolnik

DSP Group

Tel: +972-9-9529-641
Fax: +972-9-9541-234
www.dspg.com

I just wish I could get caller-IQ on my phones...
                                        -- The Purple People-Eater, NANAE