[distcc] where does preprocessing take place

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Mon Jan 31 22:16:00 GMT 2005

On 31 Jan 2005, Jean Delvare <khali at linux-fr.org> wrote:

> Is this on purpose, because doing otherwise isn't possible? Looks quite
> clear to me that feeding the distant host with preprocessed data as we
> generate it, rather than afterwards, would represent a substantial gain.
> Again, I wouldn't know how to change the code to do this, if only this
> is possible at all, but would benchmark any test patch you would come up
> with.

The reason is mostly accidental: the protocol sends the length of the
file before the data.  If it didn't know the length when we started we
would need a more complex protocol.  Since cpp is generally really
quick I don't think it's necessary.

You can feed the data into the compiler as it comes in, but that was a
bit hard to get right.  (See comments in the tree.)  I wouldn't mind
re-adding it.