[distcc] where does preprocessing take place

Jean Delvare khali at linux-fr.org
Mon Jan 31 08:35:29 GMT 2005

Hi Martin,

> Using the separate preprocessor for localhost may be a substantial
> loss, because gcc won't be able to use the integrated preprocessor.
> It might be worth trying though -- it should be an easy change.

If you say so ;)

I would happily benchmark any patch you'd send to me.

> No, the preprocessor completes before any data is sent.

Is this on purpose, because doing otherwise isn't possible? Looks quite
clear to me that feeding the distant host with preprocessed data as we
generate it, rather than afterwards, would represent a substantial gain.
Again, I wouldn't know how to change the code to do this, if only this
is possible at all, but would benchmark any test patch you would come up
with.

Thanks,
--
Jean Delvare