[distcc] where does preprocessing take place

nadim nadim at khemir.net
Sun Jan 30 21:39:39 GMT 2005

On Sunday 30 January 2005 14:53, Lorenzo Bettini wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've just started using distcc and in the manual you read that
> preprocessing (and linking) must take place on the local machine (while
> compilation and assembling can take place on remote machines).
>
> However, if I run distccmon-text on the client it often shows something
> like the following (make -j 4)
>
> Preprocess <file1.c>             <remote machine>[0]
> Preprocess <file2.c>             <remote machine>[1]
> Compile    <file3.c>              localhost[0]
> Compile    <file4.c>              localhost[1]
>
> does this mean that preprocessing takes place on the remote machine?
>
> Or am I getting the output of distccmon-text wrong?

Pre-processing always takes place on the local machine as the remote machine
doesn't have access to you local filesystem.

The output above means distcc is , localy, pre-processing you source that is
going to be compiled on the remote machine.

I must admit that pre-processing quickly becomes the bottle neck. I am looking
at distributing it. Am I the only one having this problem?

Cheers, Nadim.