[distcc] where does preprocessing take place

Lorenzo Bettini bettini at dsi.unifi.it
Sun Jan 30 13:53:47 GMT 2005

Hi

I've just started using distcc and in the manual you read that
preprocessing (and linking) must take place on the local machine (while
compilation and assembling can take place on remote machines).

However, if I run distccmon-text on the client it often shows something
like the following (make -j 4)

Preprocess <file1.c>             <remote machine>[0]
Preprocess <file2.c>             <remote machine>[1]
Compile    <file3.c>              localhost[0]
Compile    <file4.c>              localhost[1]

does this mean that preprocessing takes place on the remote machine?

Or am I getting the output of distccmon-text wrong?

thanks in advance
	Lorenzo