[distcc] Re: Using distcc with a new build system

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Mon Dec 20 21:28:23 GMT 2004

On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 09:57:27PM +0100, nadim khemir wrote:
> You are absolutely right, 5 '#'s and it was running smooth. Till I started
> using distcc that is :-)

FYI, disabling the tty-check also causes problems for the compiler-based
checks in autoconf.  (I figured that out the hard way back when I was
implementing support for colorgcc in the gentoo-linux build system.)

> But now we have the build system starting distcc that remotes the call
> which starts colorgcc that itself starts gcc.

It is better to customize the PATH that the distcc daemons will inherit
so that they don't include any colorgcc masquerade directories.  (I also
like to leave ccache out of the server's PATH, because I put ccache in
the client's PATH prior to distcc.)

> I wonder if am not going to run colorgcc _after_ distcc/gcc this will
> make it unecessary to install colorgcc everywhere as I am planning to
> use distccKnoppix and in cygwin.

That's the best place to put it:  as a filter after all the other
compiler-helper programs have run (in the client's path only).

..wayne..