[distcc] Using distcc with a new build system

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sun Dec 19 17:24:53 GMT 2004

On Sat, Dec 18, 2004 at 12:42:06PM +0100, nadim wrote:
> 'colorgcc' happily mixes STDOUT and STDERR. This is a rather obvious
> 'colorgcc' error if the pre-processed code is output to STDOUT.

Colorgcc should not be doing any coloring if STDOUT is not a terminal.
When it skips coloration of the output, it also avoids combining the
compiler's STDOUT with STDERR, so you should check into what has gone
wrong with the tty-detection code in colorgcc.  If you've disabled it to
get color on a command such as "make 2>&1 | tee outfile", I'd recommend
turning the tty-detection back on and using the "script" utility to
capture the colored output:

    script -q -c make outfile

I got the "-c" option added to the script utility for exactly this
purpose.

..wayne..