[distcc] Cross-Compiling

George Garvey tmwg at inxservices.com
Fri Nov 12 21:39:20 GMT 2004

On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 01:11:49PM -0800, Daniel Kegel wrote:
> George Garvey wrote:
> >Similar report here: linux/x86 (both intel and athlon) to mswindows
> >(using mingw cross compiler) all the time with distcc.
>
> BTW where do you get your linux->mingw toolchain?

   Built from source tar files years ago, mods to make cross compiler
in source code control so can be updated to latest tar files fairly
easily. This was before there were a lot of scripts available for
building cross compilers, so had to understand the process myself.
   Use Gentoo Linux, and tried their packages when first made switch
to using a distribution, and had problems with them. So stuck with the
home brew until I can figure out why their packages caused problems.
(They created very unstable programs that constantly and randmonly
crash on MS, reasons undiagnosed at this point.)
   For the pentium cross, just copy libraries, etc., to the faster
system's cross directories. Then make the cross-compiler. If I were to
do it for another Unix platform, that's what I'd do. Get the pre-built
libraries and system headers, then build a cross. I'm sure it is a lot
harder to build all the libraries with a cross. Always cheated and
started with pre-built libraries. Then they can be rebuilt if desired.
   That's the only problem I've ever had with cross compilers: the
chicken and egg bootstrap thing. It seems easy to deal with if
pre-built libraries are available.